Performance Specifications of Home Lighting Systems
The broad performance specifications of a W-LED light source based solar home lighting system are given below: Module 6-24 Watt peak under STC Battery Lead acid sealed maintenance free, or NiMH or Lithium-Ion, Lead acid tubular flooded or Gel / VRLA Light Source White Light Emitting Diode (W-LED) Light Out put Minimum 15 Lux when measured at the periphery of 2.5 meter diameter from a height of 2.5 meter. At any point within area of 2.5mtr diameter periphery the light level. Average duty cycle 5 hours a day under average daily insolation of 5.5 kWh/ sq.m. on a horizontal surface. Autonomy 3 days or Minimum 15 operating hours per permissible discharge
There are four models of W-LED home lighting systems. The configuration of each model is as follows:
Model - I One White LED luminaire
PV Module 6 Wp under STC Battery Lead acid Sealed maintenance free, 12V-7 AH @ C/20 or NiMH or Lithium-Ion of requisite capacity
Model - II Two White LED luminaire
PV Module 12 Wp under STC Battery Lead acid Tubular flooded or Gel / VRLA, 12V - 12AH @ C/20
Model – III Two White LED luminaires
and one DC fan of wattage up to 10 W PV Module 24 Wp under STC Battery Lead acid Tubular flooded or Gel / VRLA, 12V- 20AH @ C/20
Model – IV Four White LED luminaires
PV Module 24 Wp under STC Battery Lead acid Tubular flooded or Gel / VRLA, 12V- 20AH @ C/20
Technical Details PV Module
- The PV modules up to 24 Wp capacity will have crystalline silicon solar cells and certificate conforming to IEC 61215 Edition II / BIS 14286.
- The Load voltage of 16.40 V for 12 V battery or appropriate voltage for charging of battery used, under the standard test conditions (STC) of measurement.
- The module efficiency will be around 10%.
- For Model-I, sealed maintenance free lead acid battery with a capacity of up to 7 AH, at voltages of up to 12V @ C/20 rate of discharge or NiMH or Lithium Ion battery of requisite capacity
- For Models – II, III & IV, battery will have a minimum rating of 12V, 12 Ah or 12V, 20 Ah at C/20 rate of discharge, depending on the Model.
- 75 % of the rated capacity of the battery will be between fully charged & load cut off conditions.
- The light source will be of white LED type.
- The colour temperature of W-LEDs used in the system should be in the range of 5500oK–6500oK.
- The light output from the W-LED light source will be constant throughout the duty cycle.
- The total electronic efficiency will be 85%.
- Electronics will have temperature compensation for proper charging of the battery throughout the year.
- The voltage drop from module terminals to the battery terminals will not exceed 0.6 volts including the drop across the diode and the cable when measured at maximum charging current.
- The PCB containing the electronics will be capable of solder free installation and replacement.
- Necessary lengths of wires/cables, switches suitable for DC use and fuses will be provided.
- Adequate protection is provided under “No Load” condition, e.g. when the lamps are removed and the system is switched ON.
- The system will have protection against battery overcharge, deep discharge condition.
- Load reconnect will be provided at 80% of the battery capacity status.
- Adequate protection will be provided against battery reverse polarity.
- Fuses will be provided to protect against short circuit conditions.
- Protection for reverse flow of current through the PV module(s) will be provided.
- Corrosion resistant metallic frame structure will be provided to hold the SPV module.
- The frame structure will have provision to adjust its angle of inclination to the horizontal, so that it can be installed at the specified tilt angle.
- Light source should be either for wall mounted or ceiling mounted or can be hung from the ceiling in a stable manner, as per site requirements.
- A vented plastic / wooden / metallic box with acid proof corrosion resistant paint for housing the storage battery indoors will be provided.
- The system will have two indicators, green and red.
- The green indicator will indicate the charging under progress and will glow only when the charging is taking place. It will stop glowing when the battery is fully charged.
- Red indicator will indicate the battery “Load Cut Off” condition.
Quality and Warranty
- The Solar home lighting system will be warranted for a period of five years from the date of supply.
- The PV module(s) will be warranted for a minimum period of 25 years from the date of supply.
- The batteries will be warranted for a period of two years.
Operation and Maintenance Manual
An Operation, Instruction and Maintenance Manual, in English will be provided with the Solar Home Lighting System.